Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
Try this soup spin on an all time favorite chicken and dumplings. This easy, one-pot meal can be made for a family or ready to serve a crowd.
For the Soup:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups carrot, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped, including some leaves
2 quarts chicken broth, fat free, reduced sodium
2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
2 cups fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
For the Dumplings:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup skim milk
1 egg, large
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium-high heat.
2. Sauté carrot, onion and celery for 5 minutes; stir in broth, chicken, peppercorns, thyme and bay leaves.
3. Reduce heat to low; simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix dumpling ingredients until well blended.
5. Drop small spoonfuls of dumpling dough into simmering soup.
6. Cover soup and allow dumplings to cook for about 20 minutes (they will rise to the top of the soup as they cook).
7. Stir in spinach.
8. Remove bay leaves before serving soup.