Thanksgiving is the leading day of the year for fires in the home involving cooking equipment. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, an estimated 2,000 fires in residential buildings are reported to U.S. fire departments each year. At least 18 percent of reported home structure fires in Tennessee in 2016 were attributed to cooking, a statistic released by the State Fire Marshal’s Office.
“Careless cooking habits can lead to devastating fires,” said State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak. “Because the excitement of a Thanksgiving get-together can lead to distractions for holiday cooks, we’re urging Tennesseans to pay attention in the kitchen, and if using a turkey fryer, take all necessary safety precautions to protect yourself, your family, and your property.”
“Our departments have the same key messages that can assist in keeping our communities safe,” said Assistant Chief of La Vergne Fire Department Chris Clark of the reason for the joint release.
Rutherford County Fire-Rescue Chief Larry Farley reminds everyone that a fire extinguisher is an important item to have in the home. “Fire extinguishers are an important home accessory,” said Farley. “Homeowners should be sure that their extinguishers are not expired and are stored where they can easily be accessed.” Farley also mentioned that several Kidde-brand extinguishers have been recalled. Information about those models can be found by visiting: https://
Cooking is only once aspect of the holiday season. This time of year, many families are decorating their homes inside and out.
Here are some tips on how to cook and decorate smart this holiday:
• Pay Attention in the Kitchen. Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling, or boiling food and use a timer when simmering, baking, or roasting food. Avoid cooking if you are sleepy, have consumed alcohol, or have taken medicine or drugs that make you drowsy.
• Turkey Fryers. The State Fire Marshal’s Office recommends oil-free models or having a professional prepare your deep fried turkey. *From 2009-2013 Tennessee Fire Departments responded to over 70 fire involving deep fryers. The risk of a fire from a fryer getting out of hand quickly is even greater with the dry conditions.
• Water that Tree! Do not let live trees dry out. Keep them watered and recycle them promptly after the holiday. If you are using a metallic or artificial tree make sure it is flame retardant.
• Do Not Overload Electrical Outlets. Do not link more than three light strands, unless the directions indicate it is safe. Connect strings of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into the outlet. Make sure to periodically check the wires – they should not be warm to the touch.
• Maintain Your Holiday Lights. Inspect holiday lights each year for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets, and excessive kinking or wear before storing them. Not all holiday lights are made equal, so be sure you have the appropriate lights for indoor or outdoor use, and use only lighting listed by an approved testing laboratory. Use clips, not nails, to hang lights to keep cords from getting damaged.
• Do Not Leave Holiday Lights on Unattended. Turn them off when you leave the house or go to bed.
• Avoid Using Lit Candles to Decorate. If you do use them, make sure they are in stable holders and place them where they cannot be easily knocked down. Never put lit candles on a tree. Blow out lit candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Never leave a child alone in a room with a lit candle.
• Keep Escape Routes Clear. Do not block exit routes with trees or decorations.
• Smoke Alarms. Make sure your smoke alarms are working properly. Test them to make sure, and if you need assistance with installing additional smoke alarms or changing your batteries, contact your local fire department.
With colder temperatures approaching Tennessee, we would like to encourage all Tennesseans to take precautionary measures while heating your home. Heating equipment that may have been idle most of the year should be thoroughly checked. Carbon monoxide positioning is also a danger when temperatures drop. Sources of carbon monoxide in the home can include oil and gas furnaces, gas water heaters, wood and gas fireplaces, gas ranges and ovens, gas or kerosene space heaters, and wood stoves.
“We want your holiday to be a special and enjoyable time with your families and friends,” said MFRD Fire Rescue Chief Mark Foulks. “The last thing we want is to respond to an emergency call to your home!”
MFRD has a Holiday Safety PSA on YouTube at https://youtu.be/
If you still have questions, please do not hesitate to contact your local fire department. Remember, no question is a silly question if it saves your life!