If you’ve played sports at any level, you know how powerful momentum can be. When it’s on your side, the game feels easy. When it’s not…well, things can snowball on you in a hurry.
That’s why it’s so important for young families to start building financial security—and to do it right away. While this may seem like an impossible task in today’s economy, you may find it comforting to know that there are steps you can take—no matter how small—that can have a significant impact on your future.
Take life insurance for example. While many young couples mistakenly believe that life insurance is too expensive, those who look closely are often pleasantly surprised. Let’s look at a few reasons why:
- Life insurance is more affordable the earlier you buy it. The premiums on life insurance policies are partially based on age. In most cases, that means the earlier you buy, the lower your premiums will be.
- Term life insurance provides economical protection. Term life insurance policies provide temporary protection (as opposed to the lifelong protection of permanent life), so they are initially less expensive. That means you have the ability to provide your family with more protection than you ever thought.
- You may be able to upgrade later. Many term life policies allow you to convert to permanent life insurance if your needs and budget change. That way, you can lock in a lifetime of protection and never have to worry about being denied coverage due to a change in health.
- You never know when something will happen. While we don’t like to admit it, tragic events can—and do—happen every day. For young families, this can be especially troubling since they often have the fewest assets to fall back on and the most time to live without your financial support.
- You can use other assets more freely. Knowing you have this basic protection in place, you may be more willing to put your other financial resources to work.
It isn’t easy for young families to make financial headway these days. But like most things in life, the sooner you start, the better off you’ll be. As we’ve seen, life insurance can be an affordable way to get the ball rolling, and to give your loved ones the financial protection they need, at the time when they need it most.
This educational, third-party article is provided as a courtesy by H. Ryan Denney, Financial Services Professional, New York Life Insurance Company. To learn more about the information or topics discussed, please contact Ryan Denney at (615) 410-5294 or email@example.com